Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Power of the Word

The most powerful weapon against erroneous thoughts is scripture, "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (Eph 6:17). It is an essential part of our armor against all that attacks our minds. Jesus used it to combat temptation. Evil cannot stand against its power. In scripture we find truth to combat lies, we find promises to claim, we find hope to cling to, and we fan our faith which is our shield. There are countless scriptures that, when committed to memory, can come to our aid when our thoughts start running down a dark path. Here are just a few. If any really strike you, I challenge you to write them out and read them often until they become embedded in your mind. Then you will be able to retrieve them when you need them!

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Phil 4:6-8

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Tim 1:7

"I sought the Lord, and He answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment: